Friday, August 19, 2011

Book Club Friday {Week 5}



So, I finally jumped on the bandwagon and read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. 


The summary of the book is pretty long. I pulled this from the end of it to give y'all an idea of the plot (from Goodreads):

In pitch-perfect voices, Kathryn Stockett creates three extraordinary women whose determination to start a movement of their own forever changes a town, and the way women - mothers, daughters, caregivers, friends - view one another. A deeply moving novel filled with poignancy, humor, and hope, The Help is a timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we don't.

I am certain I am the first person to give this book less than 4 stars. I give it 3. I didn't love it. I liked it. Maybe it's because the past few books I've read I have been instantly hooked, or maybe it's just because this isn't my kind of book. It just wasn't a "must-read" for me as it seems to be for everyone else. I did really like the message of the book though and it truly put into perspective how much we take for granted these days. 

I will say that I liked the book a lot more than the movie. It took me 3 days to watch the movie. I don't know if it's because I started it immediately after I finished the book or because it was just boring. I know I'm going to take some heat for this but I just did not like it at all. I thought it was lacking so much and the end just seemed to be a collage of events pushed together. 

I want y'all to know though that I did like the book - I just didn't think it was "the best book ever."

10 comments:

Life With Lauren said...

So many people are reading this! Happy Friday!

Ashley said...

I just bought this book yesterday! I'm hoping to start on it this weekend. I'm dying to see the movie, but I really want to get through the book first.

Kyetra said...

I can't wait to read this book! I just need to hurry up.

Shari said...

I actually loved the book, but my mom was right there with you. She thought it was good, but didn't find it to be as captivating as I did. That's why reviews are helpful, because not everyone thinks the same. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. :)

Ashley Slater said...

hey, you are entitled to your opinion! I love it myself, but we can still be friends :) in fact, I am your newest follower! the husband and I MAY be traveling down to south carolina for his next job pretty soon... just sayin!

also, I am hosting a giveaway for ashley from the shine project of a cute custom necklace on my blog today! you should check it out and enter! The Shine Project Giveaway

xo, ashley

Mrs Nautical Belle said...

I agree! It was a good book but it was a little hard to get into. And some parts were a little slow for me. But I do love the book and the idea behind it.

xoxo.

Neely said...

LOved it!

Janna Renee said...

I haven't hurried to jump on the band wagon either...it doesn't seem like it would be my kind of book. I do however want to read Water For Elephants before I see the movie.

Heather said...

I still haven't read it. I am considering seeing the movie before I read it. Is that a bad idea?

Amber said...

I'm planning on reviewing that this week!

Brunette's Booth

Follow me!

Follow on Bloglovin




A Babbling Brunette

.


 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved