Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Recently Read...


I read a ton last summer, slacked off a lot during winter/fall, and now I’m back at it! In the past week I’ve read two wonderful books. Both are by my new favorite author, Diane Chamberlain.

Secret Lives


Actress Eden Riley's decision to make a film about the mother she barely knew plunges her into a shattering confrontation with her own past. Through her mother's journal, Eden discovers a life of hardship, madness and secrets. Shifting gracefully between Eden's world and that of her mother, Secret Lives seduces with the power of its images and the lyricism of its prose. (picture and description taken from B&N)

Unlike Chamberlain’s other novels, this one took me a few chapters to really get intrigued. I wasn’t so sure about it but once I got passed the first 50 pages or so I was deeply involved with the characters and anxious to find out more of their stories. This book was a bit unlike the other Chamberlain novels I’ve read but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Eden and Ben made me mad at times and happy at other times. I didn’t understand Uncle Kyle and I thought Eden’s mom was extremely interesting. Read this book and let me know what you think!

The Escape Artist


When Susanna Miller loses custody of her eleven-month-old son, Tyler, to her ex-husband and his new wife, she dyes her hair, changes her name and escapes from Boulder, Colorado, leaving behind everyone she knows, including Linc Sebastian, the man who has been her best friend since childhood and who knows her better than anyone. She lands in Annapolis, Maryland, alone, frightened, and always looking over her shoulder for someone who might recognize her. Just as she's beginning to feel safe in her new surroundings, she stumbles across information that could save the lives of many people . . . if she's willing to go to the police. But going to the authorities means revealing her identity, admitting her guilt, and worst of all, losing her son.
Equal parts family drama, love story, and thriller, The Escape Artist is the poignant story of a mother's unbreakable bond with her child and the resiliency of a love that transcends distance and time. (picture and description taken from B&N)

Oh my goodness. This is my 2nd favorite Chamberlain novel ever. (Secret Life of CeeCee will always be my fav.) Susanna is a strong-willed, determined mother. She is way stronger than I think I could ever be. I admire her and pity her all at the same time. There are definitely some classic Chamberlain twists and surprises in the novel. Those are my favorite! Just when you think you’ve figured everything out, you get a new twist! I can’t recommend this book enough. I’ve never read a book so fast. I read it on my phone and only put it down when my battery was down to 2%. Not even joking!

Let me know what you think of these books if you chose to read them! I really, really loved both of them!

I need another book to read and want a little change-up from Chamberlain. Any suggestions??

Also, don't miss my giveaway!

2 comments:

Amy Shaughnessy said...

The Escape Artist sounds like a good read! I would add it to my amazon wish list but all I see is the Kindle version...

I have started reading Philippa Gregory's books (she wrote The Other Boleyn Girl). There is a lot of controversy because she didn't stick to historical fact but I still like it. The Other Boleyn Girl was kind of slow getting going but I liked it in the end.

Amy

fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Cee Cee Wilkes will always be my fave, too!

Brunette's Booth

Follow me!

Follow on Bloglovin




A Babbling Brunette

.


 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved