Saturday, July 4, 2015

Enjoy Life.

I didn't spend my 3-day July 4th weekend in a bikini or on a boat or eating hot dogs. I spent my 3-day weekend at my mother-in-law's house with her and her dad (Papa). We talked and we sat together quietly and we reminisced and we watched tv. I wouldn't change it for the world.

I went to my MIL's house this weekend to help her and Papa because they are both going through some things health-wise. I will admit, I was a bit nervous because I don't have that "take charge" personality. But, I came because it was something I wanted to do and I may have helped a little, but I didn't do anything that anyone else couldn't have done. They, however, helped me.

I'm probably going to say some cliche things but they are cliches because they are true. That's why so many people say them. All weekend I have had one thought - slow down; stop taking PEOPLE for granted; put down the phone. Maybe that's three thoughts...

Seriously though, I know I'm on a computer now so it's a bit contradicting but my thoughts this weekend have been that life just needs to slow down and we need to TALK more. I pray that Madi & Addi enjoy the people in their lives - truly enjoy them; get to know them. I have only known Papa for 2 shorts years out of his 93, but I have already had the pleasure of hearing stories about when he was a boy and about when he flew planes in WWII. I couldn't tell you much about my Grandpa Miller. I spent every Sunday for many years at his house, not to mention drop-ins on the weekdays, but I never took the time to talk to him about life. Yes, I was a kid but who says kids can't have good conversations?

I probably am not making much sense but it's hard to put into words what this time means to me. My MIL has accepted not only me, but also my daughter, with open arms and so has sweet Papa. Taking Papa outside today was the highlight of his day, and mine. Going outside is something we all do without thinking anything of it but for Papa - it is a treat. Enjoy life and enjoy people because those are what make an impact in your life.


0 comments:

Brunette's Booth

Follow me!

Follow on Bloglovin




A Babbling Brunette

.


 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved